Wednesday, February 25, 2009

EVE: Online

The idea of space, and being able to travel from place to place at will has always fascinated me. It is the theme of several stories I'm working on - my active imagination loves the endless possibilities of what one might find "out there".

My first trial experience in EVE didn't go well. I had high hopes, and no idea of the steep learning curve required at the start of the game. As I didn't have anyone in game to learn from, I quickly lost interest.

Now, about a year later, armed with two current players for guides, access to a well written wiki full of great advice for new players, and a "corporation" full of new faces willing to help someone new - I'm having a blast. Sure, I've lost a couple of ships, and found myself lost more than once, but the experience is much more of what I was hoping for, in the first place.

Much like World of Warcraft, there is a player driven economy, which I find interesting, and a corporation system, which is pretty similar to a guild in any other MMO. I am still getting used to the idea of my character being merely a portrait, never a visible, controllable thing on screen, but I find that the variety of ships and fittings for those ships, combined with the extensive skill system is quite enough to keep me busy.

Will I become as entrenched in EVE as I have WoW? Hard to say, WoW holds a special place in my life because of the friends I have made, friends I hope to keep long beyond the expiration of my WoW account. But I shall enjoy the experience while it holds my attention, floating around in space...destroying space pirates and exploring the stars.

Link: EVE: Online

No comments:

Post a Comment